Our parent organization NCSEA (National Council of Structural Engineers Associations) has tremendous resources available on their website. As a SEAoT member, I hope that you take advantage of these resources. They include:
- Free communication webinar recordings and materials
- Discounted pricing for SEA technical books and publications, as well as International Code Council (ICC) publications
- Licensure resources (e.g., study guides, links for reputable exam preparation) as well as discounts for some courses if you are a member
- Resources for outreach and STEM activities
- Volunteer opportunities for SEA committees (e.g., code advisory, SE3 involvement, structural licensure, sustainable design, etc.)
- Resources for the profession, including a link to the Applied Technology Council’s Wind Speed Web Site, an online tool that is tied to the ASCE 7-10, 7-06, and 7-93 windspeed map database
- A link to an SEA Career Center, which is an online job placement resource specifically for structural engineers
As a SEAoT member, you also have a number of other resources, such as receiving STRUCTURE magazine (NCSEA’s monthly publication) and free registration for a number of events, such as the upcoming 2021 Virtual SEA Leadership Retreat. This is the only national organization that manages a program aimed specifically at licensed engineers practicing structural engineering.
Make sure you take some time to look at the resources available to you, and we’ll see you (virtually of course) at the next chapter meeting!
Joshua White, Ph.D., P.E.
SEAoT Houston/Gulf Coast